Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She was weak and tired and would not eat right and lost a…

Customer Question
She was weak and...

She was weak and tired and would not eat right and lost a lot of weight. Took her to my local vet and she was diagnosed with an inflammatory bowel condition. He gave me some meds and some special food, and she is eating and gaining the weight back, but is still fairly weak, and doesn't seem to be able to walk for more than about a block. She also has a heart murmur, and sneezes a lot.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** I'm not sure of her age, but I know she is at least 12 or 13. she is a small breed terrier of some sort, but she kind of just showed up at my mom's farm, and we took her in.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Snicker?

She hates thunder. Other than that, I can't think of anything. She was fine earlier in the year, but has not been her normal self for about the last month and a half.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The BEST recommendation for ANY veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

I agree, and will continue to do so. Thank you.

It sounds like snickers was diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease recently, and treatment has been instituted, but she isn't quite improving how you'd anticipated... is this correct?

If that is the case, I'd suggest scheduling a re-check appointment with the veterinarian who diagnosed her with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). IBD is a chronic condition that is managed not cured, and every dog is treated slightly differently using a multi-modal approach of diet, various medications, supplements, etc. So these cases typically need repeated visits to keep in touch to alter medication doses etc. as it gets figured out what is working well for them and what isn't - keep in touch with your vet on this, especially early on. The hope is that you'll get to a point where you and your vet feel Snicker is well managed, and then you'll stay the course and only need to go in 1-2 times a year. But until that point, often rechecks every couple weeks are indicated to adjust meds etc.

I should also mentioned, IBD is a diagnosis of exclusion made with intestinal biopsies after ruling out other conditions. If this hasn't been done, the diagnosis of IBD is presumptive and not definitive - i.e. it's thought this is what's likely the diagnosis but it hasn't been truly diagnosed. This is important if she is not responding to treatment as anticipated - the diagnosis may need to be re-evaluated at that time.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions about Snicker, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Samuel Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian