Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Pretty sure she has a uti. She is urinating all the time.

Customer Question
Pretty sure she has...

Pretty sure she has a uti

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

She is urinating all the time. And it smells terrible. Pretty sure she needs an antibiotic but all the vets are booked until next week

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Lily and she’s around 9

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Ok. Thank you

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Lily is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

You are right, if this is an uncomplicated UTI then the best thing would be an examination from your local vet who will if appropriate prescribe a course of antibiotics.

2. However I am aware that there are home remedy measure which some owners try while waiting for their vet's appointment and sometimes these can help or even resolve the condition. I will list some for you ...

3. Firstly it would also be good to encourage Lily to drink as much as possible, say by giving her very dilute milk ...

4. Also many owners use cranberry juice as a home remedy for cystitis in the dog and there may well be something in this. You could either use human quality cranberry juice or there are remedies for sale in pet stores which have cranberry as an active constituent. Another home common remedy is vitamin C tablets which you would give on a pro rata dose rate basis between your dog's weight and the human dose, crush them if you have to.

But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

SHE has had one before is there anyway you could prescribe her keflex?

So sorry, I am not based in the USA so I cannot issue prescriptions ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Is there a vet you can refer me to that’s in the USA? I’d really like to get her started on some antibiotics

Vets in the USA are not allowed to issue prescriptions for animals not under their direct care so that is not possible.

Having your dog checked over by a local vet is by far your best option and this would be my specific advice. That said I know that some clients buy antibiotics online from the likes of Amazon which are intended for fish, and in this case no prescription is required, an example would be Fishmoxy which is the antibiotic amoxycillin. More information on how this drug is used in dogs via this link : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott