Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Georgie can't poop except for a small amount of diarrhea…

Customer Question
Georgie can't poop except...

Georgie can't poop except for a small amount of diarrhea even tho she tries. Just vomited what looked like mostly water with mucus. She is and has been listless. Has pretty much lost her appetite. Have an appt. at 8 a.m. tomorrow. Anything we can do tonight?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She's 12 yrs. old and a smaller dog....Lhasa apso/yorkie mix. She had surgery 3-4 wks. ago to remove growths that were cancerous.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How much does she weigh?

Friend, if she is straining to defecate and had diarrhea this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines. The vomiting is secondary to the inflammation. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

27 lbs., I believe

Thank you. Instead of Pepcid AC 1/4 tablet you can give 1/2 tablet every 12 hours.

What will the Pepcid do for her?

It will help settle her stop and stop the vomiting.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter