Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I am caring for a dog who has atopic skin conditions related

I am caring for a...
I am caring for a foster dog who has atopic skin conditions related to what is believed to be environmental allergies as her previous owner had only fed her Purina Dog Chow and is asympotamic in the winter months. She is currently on a reduction prednisone treatment 1 every other day. She's also been perscribed 10mg of Claritin daily and mal-a-ket baths once a week. The previous owner used Advantex on her and I'm wondering if, as food doesn't seem to be a problem, if heart guard and nexgauard would be OK for her as a monthly flea and heart worm prevention. She has no history of fleas or heart worms.
9/26/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Kudos to you for taking in Athena and hopefully she will find a forever home soon!

Yes with her breed and symptoms Heargard and Nexgard would be fine to use for heartworm prevention and flea/ tick and what I prescribe at my hospital

I hope this answers your questions but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Perfect. I just wanted to check. I had an atopic lab/shar mix that was way worse, which is why I'm a sucker for a bad luck story. To make a long story short, we could never eliminate food - even with the ELISA and dermal allergen testing - and therefore he was Revolution for his whole life.I know this is outside of the scope of the original question, but would like an unbiased answer. Would you recommend ATOPICA or cyclosporine as a treatment? I don't know her history but it was a life saver for my previous atopic dog. I do think it shorted his life - pancreatic cancer - but the time he was itch free was quality time.From what I understand about this dog's background, she presents in the spring and fall - with moderate hair loss on her belly and legs - along with ear infections. The previous owner was unable to afford prednisone and multiple clinical visits, which is how I ended up with her.I would like to set her up for the very best success with her future fur-ever home, though I think it might be me.I'd also be interested in your thoughts on ELISA testing with allergy shots.Thanks again in advance. Glad to know my gut was spot on with the flavoring not being an issue for Athena with the HG/NEX.

There are such better options now than immunosuppressants, apoquel and cytopoint are really the direction for atopic dogs at this time. It has done wonders for my atopic patients even over allergy shots/ oral allergy therapy

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Thank you! I will ask my vet about those options at our next visit. I greatly appreciate your service.

You are very welcome, I wish you the best of luck to get her comfortable and into a great home!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about Athena. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian