Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog knocked over the trash. In it was an old bottle of…

Customer Question
Hello, my dog knocked...

Hello, my dog knocked over the trash. In it was an old bottle of Ibprofen pills. She may have ate one/some but I have no way of knowing. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Sidney is a 12 yr old beagle mix. Medium sized dog.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sidney?

No. She does eat just about anything. Has eaten chocolate before and been ok.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that you are concerned after Sidney may have ingested some ibuprofen tablets.
This certainly can be a toxic drug, leading to vomiting, diarrhea, stomach ulcers and kidney failure but they need to take a dose that is high enough per pound of body weight to get sick.

1. How much does Sidney weigh (25 pounds? 30?)?
  2. What is the worst case scenario (the most tablets that she could have eaten & the size per tablet)? (Ibuprofen regular strength is normally 200mg per tablet.)
  3. How long ago did this occur?
  4. How is she behaving now?
  5. Do you have fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide?

From the ASPCA database:

◾25-125mg per kg of body weight – symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, stomach ulcers;

◾more than 175mg per kg of body weight – the above symptoms plus blood in the stools, acute kidney failure;

◾more than 400mg per kg of body weight – the above symptoms plus seizures, coma, disorientation;

◾more than 600mg per kg of body weight – death.

If she ate 284mgs ( 1& 1/2 of the 200mg size) and weighs less than 11.36 kgs (25pounds) then she ate a toxic amount. So if she ate 2 or 3 of those she definitely ate a toxic amount!

I would absolutely recommend inducing vomiting if she ate these within the past couple of hours.
You can give her 1 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight soaked up with bread chunks, or mixed with ice cream (no more than 3 tablespoons per dose even if she weighs more than 35 pounds).
Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling so she vomits.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.
If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the pill pieces are present.

If she ate more than 2 of the 200mg tablets and she doesn't vomit with peroxide it would be best to get her to a veterinary clinic to induce vomiting and treat her.

Once it has been more than 2 hours it is likely too late to induce vomiting, then she should absolutely see a veterinarian so they can administer activated charcoal to try and absorb the drug, give fluids and acid reducing medication.
If she seems to vomit most of the pills, and you decide not to have her seen by a veterinarian, at home to try and decrease acid production in her stomach and lessen any possible symptoms you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers that are found over the counter at the drug store. They can be given as needed, and should be given for a week to 10 days if she doesn't vomit.
If her stomach seems at all upset to decrease the symptoms you can feed her a bland diet for the next several days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get in plenty of fluids. Feed small meals frequently.
Things to watch for that mean trouble include continued vomiting, especially blood tinged, dark, black or tarry stools, or frank blood in the stools, lack of an appetite, increased water consumption and urination.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****