Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He had about 6-9 mts ago, some black tar like substance

Customer Question
.He had about 6-9...

.He had about 6-9 mts ago, some black tar like substance hardening on the side on his mouth. I researched it online and it said that he was most likely having something going on with his 'scent gland' and it was normal. today the vet said he has a cyst

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your bear seem to hurt?

I don't know, that is what is upsetting me, I just can't tell about anyone's pain, not even my own

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the bear's name?

His name is***** but I call him Bear or Bear-Bear

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sir?

He has been even more clingy than usual the past week or so, he's always with me, 24/7 but its like he is wanting me to hold him, rub his face, etc - I now think he might be telling me his face is hurting and I don't know what to do

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
When can I expect some kind of answer? I am worried what is the black substance he has been drooling from the side of his mouth, why it hardens, and what kind of cyst would create that? If its been 6+ months, wouldn't a cyst be bigger than the size of a pencil eraser (actually about half that size in depth but diameter wise about the same).Would the vet giving him antibiotic injection and a steroid be the right protocol or just a typical treatment modality?I need to find someone GOOD really GOOD who understands CYSTS and treatment.... I CANNOT LOSE BEAR, I'll kill myself if he dies.... he's only just turned 8 yrs old, he's my whole life. I'm his whole life and he has counted on me and I think I've failed him.
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When this originally occurred, was Bear examined and treated? If so, what treatment occurred?
2) Where is the cyst located that was diagnosed and do you have pictures of it?
3) Can you also share pictures of the drool?
4) When was he last examined?
5) Did your vet discuss any potential for periodontal disease? Was he drooling black at that time?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian