Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Symba is still having seizures (episodes) that can last for…

Customer Question
Symba is still having seizures...
Symba is still having seizures (episodes) that can last for hours. I have a friend who also has a small dog that has seizures. She gives her dog a very small dose of THC oil and says it really seems to help. Have you ever heard of this and do you think it would help or hurt my dog?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I have heard pf people trying THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) oils or CBD for seizures, but I have no personal experience with it. Right now it is illegal to recommend these products for dogs, veterinarian who do so run the risk of losing their license.

From my understanding the preferred compound to give dogs is CBD (cannabidiol) oil, not THC. THC seems to have psychoactive effects which dogs do not tolerate well.

Colorado State University Veterinary school is running a research study right now, so hopefully we will soon know whether it is a viable option or not for dogs with intractable seizures. See this link for information about the study, and information about joining the study: http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/veterinarians/clinical-trials/Pages/efficacy-of-cannabidiol-for-the-treatment-of-epilepsy-in-dogs.aspx

The trouble with many of these products currently is that they are not regulated so they can vary widely in concentration, and thus efficacy and possible side effects.

A study showed that CBD oil is poorly absorbed from a dog's gastrointestinal system, so if given orally it may not have much of an effect.

I know it is hard to see your little one like this, but at this point I would wait until more research is done before thinking about adding an unknown supplement.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Symba. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara