Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 9 year Greyhound that is limping but I see nothing…

Customer Question
I have a 9...

I have a 9 year Greyhound that is limping but I see nothing in her pad. She's not crying just not wanting to put her foot down all the way. But not all the time. Any suggestions

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Bristol

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bristol?

Except she likes to jump on my deck

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long has this been going on for?

Is she consistently limping on that limb?

Any other medical problems with her?

About 3 days
No not all the time
No other medical issues

Thanks for the information. It is most likely an issue with arthritis or a soft tissue injury (i.e.; muscles, ligaments, tendons). With that age and breed, there is a potential concern about bone cancer, but that is usually painful all the time. My best advice is to have your vet do an orthopedic exam on her and consider getting x-rays done. At the very least, they can prescribe some safe pain medication for her. It is best to let her rest for at least a week to see if it will heal. If she is active on it, it may have a hard time healing. There are no human OTC pain medications that are consider completely safe. Enteric coated aspirin (walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm) is the only one that is somewhat safe, but it can still cause gastrointestinal problems, including bleeding, and kidney problems and may interfere with other medications you vet may want to use, so I don't usually recommend it. If you lay her on the opposite side and flex and extend all her joints from the toes to the top, you may be able to find a painful joint. If so, then applying a warm compress to the area may help if it is just a soft tissue injury. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Bristol is doing and to see if you have any other questions.