Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog lost a,canine tooth and,has a large whole in the side

My dog lost a,canine tooth and,has a large whole in the side of her gum, what can i do at home to keep it from getting infected while i wait for her appt. On the 16th of Oct

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Ok Dr. Thank you

Susan, you can flush the socket with an over the counter chlorhexidine-containing oral rinse which you can find where dog supplies are sold (please see here: https://www.amazon.com/Dentahex-Oral-Rinse-Vet-Solutions/dp/B001S0I1JI). In most cases, such a tooth was lost because the root was infected, abscessed, and caused bone loss. You can also treat with a systemic antibiotic at this time. Please let me know if you have a canine or human antibiotic at home for which I might be able to give you a dose for Starlit.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hi Susan Clawson,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Starlit. How is everything going?