Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been chewing/knowling on his paws for a few weeks…

Customer Question
My dog has been...

My dog has been chewing/knowling on his paws for a few weeks and now they have sores and are look red/pink and raw.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Jango 2years 5 months

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. That is usually a sign of skin allergies. Most of the time, it is something growing in the environment. Can't really determine without allergy testing. Food allergies would be less likely. Often, those feet develop secondary bacteria or yeast infections. He is at that age where allergies may start to become a problem. I would have your vet check it out and make sure nothing else is going on, like skin mites. It sounds like he needs to be on a course of steroids or Apoquel to control the allergy and antibiotics or antifungal medications. It can help to soak the paws in a chlorhexidene based shampoo daily for 10 minutes. Wiping the paws after coming in from outside can help to remove allergens. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Jango is doing and to see if you have any other questions.