Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a female schnauzer mix 4 years old and is having…

Customer Question
Hello, my dog is...

Hello, my dog is a female schnauzer mix 4 years old and is having an issue with peeing on herself while she is laying down. I am currently living in my fathers house whom has an older dog that cannot seem to hold it so she always pees in the house especially during the night. Could my dog be associating with this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

Pepa

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pepa?

She's has seizures every once in while but I think it's due to stress

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Pepa. You've described urinary incontinence which is usually due to urethral incompetence - weak urethral musculature - in a spayed female and which can be exacerbated by a bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI) or a UTI may be the sole cause of such incontinence. Pepa's vet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of Pepa's bladder through her abdominal well (the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine) - and perform a complete urinalysis looking for the tell-tale signs of infection - the presence of bacteria and/or abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells. If found, an infection should always be addressed first. If my patient normalizes after the infection has been cured, urethral incompetence isn't present. If my patient doesn't normalize after curing an infection, urethral incompetence is the most likely cause of her urinary incontinence and is addressed with either an estrogen such as estriol or DES or the sympathomimetic drug PPA. Her incontinence isn't related to the other dog's inappropriate urination. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you very much for your response. I will take her to the vet so we have resolve this issue.

You're quite welcome. I'm pleased to hear this. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.