Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 13-yr-old corgi has DM with weak back legs; however, he…

Hi! my 13-yr-old corgi...

Hi! my 13-yr-old corgi has DM with weak back legs; however, he also has skin allergies being treated with apoquel, but he still has skin problems despite it. i understand prednisone might help his skin, but would that affect the DM? he had a type of anemia many years ago--idiopathic hemolytic anemia? not sure if that's the right name, but it was an autoimmune disease. any info is appreciated

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Pumpkin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pumpkin?

He had been healthy for many years until we moved from NJ to FL, and his allergy problems started. He has been taking Apoquel for a while, and i don't want to create more problems, but it is expensive and doesn't seem to be working anymore

9/25/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. There are no contraindications to using prednisone with DM. It will not make it worse. The only concerns would be muscular weakening from long term use or a higher chance of a urinary tract infection (which they are prone to with DM) due to possibly weakening of the immune system. If you use steroids, it should really only be short term. If this is year round and not responding to Apoquel (or steroids for that matter), you may want to talk to your vet about a possible food allergy, which they can develop to a food they have eaten for years at any time. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

one more thing--do think benadryl would be worth a try in stead of the apoquel?

You can try it, but, to be honest, if Apoquel doesn't work, it extremely unlikely Benadryl will. It is just not that good for controlling skin allergies in dogs. Hope this helps.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John