Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Recently 11 1/2 yr old pit started gagging during sleep in…

Customer Question
Recently 11 1/2 yr...

Recently 11 1/2 yr old pit bull started gagging during sleep in the day time, doesn't do it at night. And he used to eat his food really fast, but eats much slower now, but still doesn't chew it. He will gag and sometimes vomit his food up. His bowl is on the floor, should I get a raised bowl for him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the pit?

No, he's been healthy up to date on all shots. He does have fatty deposits on his body. Other than that, he's fine

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. It wouldn't hurt to raise his bowl, but most likely it will solve the underlying problem. The thing that needs to be determined is if this is a respiratory or a gastrointestinal issue. It sounds more respiratory to me. If the raised bowl doesn't seem to help, have your vet do a thorough exam on him, especially in the back of the mouth. I would want to make sure there are no tumors around the opening of the trachea. Sometimes sedation and/or an x-ray may be needed to get the full exam. It is also possible that he is dealing with a condition called chronic bronchitis, which affects a lot of older dogs. They don't usually vomit up food with that, but if the gagging was hard enough, it could do it. Raising the bowl may only help with problems in the esophagus. If there is a stricture (narrowed opening) in the esopghagus, a tumor or a condition called megaesophagus (creates regurgitation); then other medical and/or surgical treatments would be needed as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Pit Bull is doing and to see if you have any other questions.