Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

This is a question for a vet. Is it safe to give Benadryl to

a cat that is itching...
This is a question for a vet. Is it safe to give Benadryl to a cat that is itching her sides and ears? And if so, how much is safe. She has had a Benadryl shot for this in times past.
9/25/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, diphenhydramine (Bendryl) can be safely administered to cats at a dose of 1 -2 mg per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours. Expect sedation although excitation can be seen, instead, in some cats. It's not reliably antipruritic (anti-itch) and so a glucocorticoid (steroid) is usually the drug of choice in cats suffering from an allergic dermatitis - a flea saliva allergy, atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.), or, less commonly, food intolerance. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian