Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog threw up 4-5 times yesterday morning, and hasn't…

Customer Question
Hi, our dog threw...

Hi, our dog threw up 4-5 times yesterday morning, and hasn't thrown up since, but has had diarrhea. Should we be worried? He still has an appetite and we've been giving him white rice

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

He tried out some new treats the day before, which we think might be the cause, Otherwise, he may have gotten into something in the yard

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He's a 5 month old puppy, and has had all his vaccinations

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, in a puppy vomiting and diarrhea, are often caused by infections, ingestion of a foreign body, parasites, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can try:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.1-0.2mg per pound body weight every 12 hours for the next 1-2 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit and having diarrhea after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If he develops bloody diarrhea, becomes lethargic, stops eating, etc. do not wait and have him checked immediately by a veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian