Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Congestive heart failure from heart worms. fluid in abdomen…

Congestive heart failure from...

Congestive heart failure from heart worms. fluid in abdomen helps heart pump blood so I've read. Would decreasing the fluid cause the heart to be unable to pump the blood as needed? Is Spironolactone a recommended treatment when a current diuretic is not working?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Rojo he's a pit bull mix he's around 8 to 10 years old. We found him when he was about 5 months old. He had been tested for heart worms and was positive.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rojo?

The current veterinarian said the enlarged abdomen was all fluid the other vet in the same office wants to do an MRI to see if there is blockage. Everything I've researched shows fluid is usual with a diagnosis of heart failure and the fluid puts pressure on the heart and that help the heart pump the blood.

9/25/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. Fluid in the abdomen can definitely be due to right sided congestive heart failure, which is what usually occurs with heart worm disease. The fluid doesn't help the heart pump better. An ACE inhibitor, like enalapril or benazapril is necessary to decrease the pressure the heart has to pump again. That fluid buildup just added more pressure. The liver also gets very congested. If the diuretic he is on isn't helping, then I would add spironolactone, but I would make sure he is on some other medication like enalapril. If adding the second diuretic isn't helping, then I would start to wonder if there is another reason there is fluid in the abdomen, such as liver failure, kidney failure or abdominal cancer. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John