Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a Japanese Chin, last night he started flopping

Customer Question
I have a Japanese...

I have a Japanese Chin, last night he started flopping around almost like a seizure, he now has loose stool and is acting like his skin hurts at times, other times he's fine. He's had 2 more episodes like the first. I've left a message for the vet and am waiting for her to contact me back. Is there anything I can do in the mean time to help Paki.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Paki

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Paki?

He's 3 months old, he likes to get into stuff. I've done my best to puppy proof my house, I'm worried he may have gotten into something.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I am sorry to hear Paki is having seizures.

I would like you to give Paki some Karo syrup or pancake syrup. Small breed puppies have a tendency of going into Hypoglycemia and that can cause seizures. The syrup can help balance it out and stop the seiures. Once you try the syrup the seizures should stop. I would administer the syrup and then keep him in a darkened room to rest until you can see the Vet. When administering the syrup rub some on the gums about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon full.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech