Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is still a puppy not a year old yet but he hasn't ate…

Customer Question
Hello, my dog is...

Hello, my dog is still a puppy not a year old yet but he hasn't ate in three days yesterday he just laid around and drank from the water bowl all day now he wont move much and has a very dry nose and is cold help. We checked his stool and two days ago he has worms in it we gave him warm medication

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Doobie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Doobie?

No other than he is very weak and seems exhausted. His eyes are watering as well

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

I am Dr. Nicole and I am sorry to hear about Doobie. I am working on a response for you. I will be back shortly.

awesome thank you so much

There are so many situations on this site that I can offer advice online and make suggestions for at home care. In this situation, if Doobie is that lethargic and unwilling to move, he really needs to be seen today.

I am sure because he is such a young dog that he is normally very active and playful, these signs are a red flag that something more serious could be going on. Of course, the number one thing that I would be concerned about in a dog his age, is trying to figure out if there was anything that he could have ingested, whether it be toxin or toy or different type of food. We become less concerned about cancers and metabolic diseases such as liver and kidney disease in young pets (unless they ingested a toxin of course) and instead worry about intestinal foreign bodies or infectious diseases.

At this point, because he has not been eating and now has stopped drinking, I would be concerned about weight loss and dehydration. He can not sustain himself like this. It is time to figure out what is going on with him and ensure that it is nothing serious.

I wish that I could tell you to give some medications that would likely make it better, but at this point, he sounds really sick and my best advice would be to have him examined and treated. It does not mean that it has to be complicated or expensive, but the longer you wait the more difficult it is to play catch up with his health and then the more serious it can become.

Sometimes the most important thing is just knowing when it is time to take your pet in to the vet. This is one of those situations. I don't think that you would regret it. It would give you peace of mind to make sure that he is okay. If they don't find anything, at least they could give him some fluids and possibly something for appetite and nausea so that he will start eating again.

Please let me know if you have additional questions. I would glad to help in anyway that I can.

If I have answered all of your questions and you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated.

Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week.

Keep me posted. I am really concerned about him and want to ensure that he is getting better. I will check my messages throughout the day to see how things are going.

Sincerely,

Nicole

I didn't get a response from you. Do you have any questions?