Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 8 year old had pyrometra 9 days ago. Was put on

Customer Question
My 8 year old...

My 8 year old had pyrometra 9 days ago. Was put on antibiotics for 4 days and doing fine. Day 5 went in to have uterus and ovaries out, doing fine until today, she won't eat, barely urinates and keeps throwing up liquid. She is still on her clarimentim pill and an oral liquid antibiotic for 5 days. What's wrong? Plus she has not defacated since surgery.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Shihpoo 8 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Part shihtzu and part toy poodle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the toy poodle eat anything unusual?

No, same food she always eats

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the toy poodle's name?

Sweetie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sweetie?

The very first night from surgery and she urinated I noticed she had green pus coming out of her vagina, but never a fever or anything else.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Hello, I thought it took 10 min. to answer and it's been almost an hour. How much longer please?
9/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a picture of the medication labels?

Is today the only day where she has not eaten?

Are the medications being given without food?

Has she had any diarrhea?

Here is a picture of her meds.
Up until yesterday she was taken her meds with food, only because she couldn't hold anything down.
Yes, she has never missed a day of eaten until yesterday. Twice a day.
Also, no, she hasn't had diarrhea at all has only urinated since surgery. She usually goes once every day or two.
Also at 5:10 a.m. this morning I gave her both meds and she has held them down so far.
Her pill form medication is given inside a maryjane candy which she tolerates extremely well and it's the only way to get her to take meds.
Texting is fine! Thanks! You have all her information.
How long do you think you can give me a response for Sweetie? So far, I have not received any beneficial information to help me with my dog! If this is just a gimmick to get people to keep paying out more money, please let me know so I can move on and save my dogs life!!
As you can see, she's been to the mspca emergency hospital in Boston and than again a few days later to mspca hospital, plus meds and now you, for a total of
$3000 + your "advice fee", of $20 or $30. Haven't checked my bank yet to see what you have charged me since I'm by my dogs side 24/7! Are you going to actually give me an answer?

Hello again, JACustomer. Experts come on at different times of the day. Your response to my questions came 2 hours following my original post, during which time I was signed off and have been signed off until this time.

I suspect that your companion is likely experiencing some vomiting from the clavamox and metacam that she is taking. Both of these medications commonly cause nausea and vomiting. It would be ideal to contact your vet for further instructions as they may wish to have you discontinue one or both. Alternately, at home, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). I would also begin offering pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. I would wait 2 hours following the Pepcid before offering this so the medication has a chance to work and may not only calm the vomiting but also increase her appetite, giving her the desire to eat.

If this does not help, you're going to need to speak with your vet and/or schedule a recheck. The continual usage of the metacam, especially, without food on the stomach may cause an ulcer. Along with this, you may begin seeing pink or blood-laced vomit. Keep a close eye out for this symptom as it will indicate that she absolutely needs to be seen.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Sweetie today?

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy