Samuel Peck
Samuel Peck,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Meadow Hill's
98574077

My dog ate one lisinopril blood pressure pill. He weighs

My dog ate one lisinopril blood pressure pill. He weighs 120lbs will this hurt him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Wags and he is almost 5 years okd
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wags?
Customer: He is very healthy other than back problems

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The BEST recommendation for ANY veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

Can you tell me how many mg (milligrams) the pills are?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
20mg

Ok, one moment while I do a quick calculation...

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
No

120lbs= 54kg

20mg /54kg = 0.37mg/kg

This medication is typically prescribed for dogs at 0.5mg/kg once to twice daily. This is under the therapeutic range. No toxicity would be anticipated at this dosage. I would take no action.

I'm assuming the "no" was in response to the website prompting you to do a phone call - apologies, it offers that automatically, discussing here is fine.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
it was.. how long does it take to get out of his system?? Can I give him a flexiril for his back or should I wait?? His back muscles spasm and that's what I was getting for him when he ate the blood pressure pill
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Are you still there???

Yes, apologies I'm typing...

Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) is not typically well tolerated in dogs in general and thus I don't recommend administering it with or without recently ingesting the ace inhibitor / lisinopril.

Duration of action of lisonopril in dogs is around 24 hours, with peak blood levels after 4 hours post ingestion. It should be "out of his system" after a day.

For muscle relaxation dogs are typically prescribed methocarbamol - it is very well tolerated, consider asking your local veterinarian about this medication for the muscle spasms you've described.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you very much. You have eased my mind!

You are very welcome. :) Kindly remember to rate with the stars, that is the best way to thank the professionals that use this site. Thanks! - Dr. Peck.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Samuel Peck