Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog just ingested combat roach bait do I need to take her

Hi my dog just ingested...
Hi my dog just ingested combat roach bait do I need to take her to an emergency? she's 6.5 year old husky mix, weighs 40 pounds
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Josie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Josie?
Customer: she's takes buspirone 15mg twice daily
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hi can someone respond sooner.
9/25/2017
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The BEST recommendation for ANY veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

Do you know if Josie ingested the container?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she didn't ingest the container. just licked the inside clean

Josie should be fine. The main ingredient from combat roach bait is fipronil. This is what is used for flea control in dogs (topical Frontline). GI upset might occur - possible vomiting or diarrhea, but at 40lb I would anticipate a good chance for no clinical signs. Monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, abdominal pain - again not expected. The bigger concern is when the packaging is ingested this can be irritating to the stomach/intestines and worst case result in an obstruction. If presented with this in person I might suggest some activated charcoal to bind the medication and help it pass through to minimize possible GI upset, but this typically isn't necessary with this time of situation. I'd deem monitoring at this time appropriate, I'd seek care if clinical signs develop as above.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She's on Buspirone 30mg for anxiety will that affect the toxicity of fipronil?

I did see that in the initial question, sorry I didn't address it directly - no, I wouldn't expect any change in concern with buspirone and the fipronil.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help.

You're very welcome. Thanks kindly for rating.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian