Samuel Peck
Samuel Peck,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Meadow Hill's
98574077

He ate part of my rather large poisetta plant and now has

He ate part of my rather large poisetta plant and now has very bad diareha
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** *****;s about 11- 12 weeks old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sam?
Customer: no, I don't think so

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The BEST recommendation for ANY veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

Poinsettia's are considered toxic to dogs and cats, they are considered an irritant and often cause gastroenteritis - i.e. vomiting / diarrhea. If Sam is still happy to eat and drink I'd suggest at home supportive care with a bland diet of cooked chicken and rice and a small amount of canned pumpkin for added fiber. This should be self-resolving. If Sam is vomiting continuously, anorexic, or has worsening lethargy - get him checked out. Given his young age he may be more susceptible to the effects of having diarrhea from something like this - i.e. he could get very dehydrated and need a little more aggressive supportive care like fluids and nausea medication.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions about Sam, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Samuel Peck