Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What does it mean when your dog has diaria for three days…

Customer Question
What does it mean...

What does it mean when your dog has diaria for three days and then all of a sudden loses mobility? She can hardly walk now and I'm concerned if it can be a stroke? She had some "chicken skin" which we know was good, but it is not a usual thing. She is 10 years old and was as playful as a pup on a regular basis before this happened.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

We do not see any wounds and she hasn't even been out. She has trouble jumping up on the couch as we usually let her too. My husband had to help her get up tonight. This has just started.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

I can't think of anything. We do have a list of good food for dogs and a list of food NOT to give dogs and chicken skin was not on it.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The BEST recommendation for ANY veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

I've seen many older dogs with diarrhea or other disabling disease in which their reserve is taxed to the point where they can't walk like they used to - i.e. from diarrhea they can become dehydrated, lethargic, and weak, and eventually this shows up as difficulty standing up- something old dogs may be struggling with already from arthritis that owners may or may not be aware of. They've got less muscle reserve so when they are hit with an illness like something causing diarrhea they become weaker faster. That being said, there are other explanations, such as a stroke to her spinal cord, a slipped disc, arthritic joints that have been acutely exacerbated, peripheral neuropathy, central neurologic disease, etc. etc.

Given 3 days of diarrhea which has now progress to some type of weakness / lameness / neurologic issue, it's time to have her looked at in person - I'd suggest contacting your local veterinarian. They might simply treat the diarrhea if they think the change in mobility is from generalized weakness vs. something else. Or they may suggest diagnostics - these will range quite a bit for this circumstances depending on the physical examination - they might recommend bloodwork/urinalysis, fecal parasite screen (given the diarrhea), imaging of her spine / hips, etc.

Keep her diet bland but enticing until she can be seen to help keep her strength up and fight her diarrhea - cooked chicken and rice with a little canned pumpkin is a great at-home option.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.