Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He may have had an event or seizure .. I have been watching…

Customer Question
He may have had...

He may have had an event or seizure .. I have been watching him since 3pm when I first saw warning signs where he was crying and scared

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Now he is sleeping and acting sedated and I am just worried. Usually by now he is more responsive

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Finn he is 1.5 years old, this is the 5th time this has happened. He also hasn't urinated since about 3pm been sleeping since 4pm

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. What breed is Finn ?

2. Has your regular vet checked him over already for this problem, if so what was the advice ?

Pomeranian, he has seen the ver and a neurologist. No clear answers. He's very lethargic right now and want to know if that's normal

OK, thanks for that, just typing out your answer now

Hello again,

If Finn has now recovered from this episode but is now quite lethargic then it is possible that he experienced a minor fit, 1.5 years of age is around the time that inherited epilepsy can first occur and it is known to be prevalent in your breed. If there are no further problems your best bet is to have your regular vet check him over at the first opportunity. Of course other diagnosis are possible but lets talk over inherited { Idiopathic } epilepsy in more depth, this would be the most likely diagnosis.

1. Causes: There are basically two forms of epilepsy, one is the inherited form which is common in some breeds. This is also called idiopathic epilepsy and the other is epilepsy which is secondary to some other disease situation or trauma or other factor. Inherited epilepsy is present in certain dog breeds and in particular strains within those breeds. There is quite a list of susceptible breeds, including yours, you can confirm this here : LINK

2. A classical description of an idiopathic epilepsy type fit would be as follows. There is a pre-fit period which is difficult to spot although it is said that other dogs in the house will notice it, the dog may be restless in this phase. The actual fit has a tonic phase where the dog goes all stiff, this is followed by a clonic phase where the dog paddles its feet and may salivate and whine. After the dog recovers there is normally a period of post-fit depression where the animal is sleepy and confused and may bump into things. This as I have said is the classical description but be aware this pattern may vary from dog to dog. Another feature is that the dog may have been sleeping or dreaming just prior to the onset of the fit. Once a dog has had an idiopathic type fit there is a likelihood that a pattern will develop and more fits will occur on a regular basis, say one a week or once every couple of months.

3. Diagnosis: In a normal vet practice Idiopathic epilepsy would be diagnosed by the clinical signs, the owner’s description and by eliminating the other possible causes by running diagnostic test such as blood assays etc.

4. Treatment : Where inherited epilepsy is the diagnosis, there are a range of anti-convulsive drugs which can be prescribed. These are often very successful in preventing further fits but the downside is that the have to be be given on an ongoing lifetime basis. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Finn's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I did not witness any paddling of feet or anything. Should he be super responsive to me now, usually worlds like bone cookie walk are enough even in deep sleep to get a ear movement or sigh.

Glad to talk this over with you further.

Fits in the dog are quite variable, for a dog to be lethargic and non responsive for some time after a fit is well noted { Post fit depression } and common, this can actually vary from fit to fit in the same dog, sometimes a short time, at others longer. I think the best thing to do is to keep an eye on your dog over the next hour and if you note any deterioration or if your dog does not come round in that time then have an ER vet check him over.

It sounds to me as if he may benefit from anti-convulsive meds, you may want to talk this over with your regular vet.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Finn is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect seizure ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi thank you for reaching out. We went to the vet this morning and the vet says she believe he has micro vascular displaysia. When he was tested in April he had all the tests done and I don't remember any of his bile acids being elevated and a ultrasound showed nothing. Wants to start him on a prescription diet and metronidazole going forward. Just feel uneasy that rheee were no direct answers in any of the testing.

Well it is certainly worth giving that a try ...

Please let me know how things go.

Regards,

Dr Scott