Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

It had apiece of Crack in her for like 2 seconds. My dagger…

Customer Question
It had apiece of...

It had apiece of Crack in her for like 2 seconds

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

My dagger stopped by and she dropped a piece of Crack on the floor and my.dog had it in her mouth

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She's all shaking

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

I'm no where near a vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No help

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. So your dog had a piece of crack in her mouth for two seconds only but you managed to quickly retrieve it and none was swallowed.?

She didn't swallow it
What should I do

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. As long as she did not swallow it then things should not be too serious, while it can be absorbed via the mucous membranes in the mouth it usually has to be actually swallowed before you will see any serious signs of toxicity. { Toxicity varies depending on type and concentration and purity of the drug }

2. Dogs having access to this type of recreation drug is in fact well documented so where significant toxicity has occurred the signs you would be looking for would be drooling, dilated pupils, hyperactivity, muscle tremors, increased heart rate, increased respiratory rate, vomiting, seizures, increased body temperature, respiratory depression, coma, and cardiac and respiratory arrest. You might expect these symptoms to start to set in after an hour, and of course if in any doubt take your dog to an ER vet as soon as possible.

3. However based on what you have told me so far I doubt if your dog is at any risk, you may perhaps see very minor symptoms but I would not expect worse than that so really you would be taking very little risk in just observing your dog over the next few hours. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Just checking back in to see how things are going ?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the recreational drug ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian