Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Chewbaca is a 10 year old phantom poodle. He has been

Chewbaca is a 10...

Chewbaca is a 10 year old phantom poodle. He has been licking his paw frequently. I found a growth, lump, mass, on one of the toes. It is very pink in color, and it does not seem to be painful when I touch it or while he walks. I have noticed that the size will change throughout the day. It is about the size of a small round grape

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No other symptoms, he is still active and eating well

9/25/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your pup Chewbacca has a mass on his toe that he won't stop licking.

Histiocytomas aren't nearly as common in older dogs as they are in young dogs, but it is possible that is what this is. If the dog rubs, licks or scratches it will persist rather then then resolving or can get infected. You can use a drop of cortisone cream on it to reduce inflammation. If it is raw I would recommend an antibacterial (like Neosporin or Polysporin) as well. And I would recommend an E-collar for her to try and stop her from licking any more. If this is diagnosed as a histiocytoma but the bump doesn't resolve completely in 3 months it should be surgically removed as it is unlikely to go away on its own at that point and can lead to a secondary infection.

Another possibility is a sebaceous adenoma. These are very benign growths of the sebaceous (oil) glands and can be cream colored to reddish or black depending upon how irritated they get. They are very common on the head, neck, trunk and legs/feet. Once one pops up you may see more in time. If the dog has the genetic predisposition to form one then they will continue to get them. I tend to remove them if they break open, if they bother the dog as then they can get infected, or if they are in a bad spot, like a toe where there is little extra skin so if they get big it would be an issue They aren't really warts and aren't caused by a virus so don't respond to medication used to treat warts in people.

Another possibility is a tumor called a mast cell tumor. These have variable degrees of malignancy, some can be treated with just surgical removal, some are quite aggressive and will spread deep into tissue and to local lymph nodes. The only way to know for sure how malignant the tumor is to remove it and have it biopsied.

Other tumors that this may be include a basal cell tumor but these are much less common in dogs then in people, or a melanoma. These tend to be fairly benign behaving in the skin and respond to surgical removal. A plasma cell tumor is another possibility.

Of these tumors none resolve completely on their own except a histiocytoma. Mast cell tumors will change in size if they are bumped, and then go down slightly in size but never fully resolve on their own.

Whatever this lump is it may help to place an Elizabethan collar so he cannot lick and then keep it clean and apply cortisone ointment to try and shrink it until you can have it checked.

Thank you for the picture. I see a pink, circular hairless growth attached to the side of his toe. I would be concerned that this may be a mast cell tumor.

I recommend your veterinarian perform a fine needle aspirate on the bump. He or she puts a tiny needle in the bump, draws cells out, and looks at the cells under the microscope to identify them.
If this is a mast cell tumor he will likely need his whole toe amputated and he should have some testing done to check regional lymph nodes and to make sure this is not a systemic issue.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Do mast cell tumors just pop up overnight? This was not present 3days ago.

Mast cell tumors can increase in size suddenly if they are bumped, because histamine is released and inflammation and swelling follow.

But if it truly popped up that quickly perhaps this is an allergic reaction (less likely) or an interdigital cyst.

Give the location though I highly recommend he see his veterinarian and have an aspiration cytology checked.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Thank you

You are very welcome.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian