Denise Cudiamat
Denise Cudiamat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
99472105

Black lab ate 300 mg bupropion. I don't know what to do or

Black lab ate 300 mg bupropion. I don't know what to do or expect.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Terry, he's approx. 5 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Terry?
Customer: no - he's healthy

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Terry.

Ibuprofen typically comes in 200mg tablets. Are you certain it was 300mg that he ingested?

Are there any additional active ingredients in the medication ingested?

How long ago did he eat the medication?

How much does Terry weigh?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Not Ibuprofen - bupropion (Wellbutrin) 300mg

My apologies. For the Buproprion:

How long ago did he eat the medication?

How much does Terry weigh?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
He ate it about 1/2 hour ago. I'm not sure how much he weighs - he's a normal male black lab.

I recommend inducing Terry to vomit. Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

He will need about 45ml (3 Tablespoons) of hydrogen peroxide orally.

Then walk him inside on a leash with a garbage bag to catch his vomit.

If he does not vomit within 10-15 min of the hydrogen peroxide, he can have a second dose.

It is important that he vomit to the point of dry heaving, to know that his stomach is empty.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you. I'll do it right away.

You are welcome. The toxic canine dose for Wellbutrin is 10mg/kg, so if he weighs under 65lbs, he may have experienced a toxic dose.

I recommend inducing him to vomit to limit any further absorption of the medication.

Since he is likely just above the toxic range at his weight, the risk of toxic side effects will be low. He may experience some sedation and lethargy however.

Any success to induce him to vomit?

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you so much. Had to give him 6 tbsps, but everything came up - both pills identified. Thank you!!

Fabulous! I'm glad to hear it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Denise Cudiamat