Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We were at a park yesterday and he snatached a bone by a…

Hi- we were at...

Hi- we were at a park yesterday and he snatached a bone by a garbabge can from someone s picnic I could not tell, didnt look like a chicken bone, he is eating today but having a hard time pooping He has this from time to time anyway, so I'm not sure if it s fine or not. he lets' me palpate his stomach and backside. the only symptom is the pooping. he had the bid d already yeardtday befroe we went to the park.. should I be freaking out?? he also drank a TON of lake water and played fetch for a good three hours yesterday.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Charlie, age 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?

I'm really scared about financing a major surgery or something! he has no ither health issues other than a sometimes not strong belly. I also gave him some roast pork early in the day as a treat- maybe was a bit greasy for him.... I usually stick to chicken/

still wants to play ftech and eat- seems a little tired, but we worked him very hard yesterday!
9/24/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Can you please clarify the difficulty having a bowel movement? Sometimes straining with diarrhea or drips of stool can be very difficult to differentiate between constipation and I want to clarify this first and foremost.

ok, that sounds good. thanks. he is a 2 yr old border collie, normally in good health, but does have a sensitive belly usually. I read you can give them break to help pad the bone but is this ture or will I make it worse? he ate it at about 6pm CST yesterday.
he is constipated often.
we went for a walk about 2 hours ago and he had a stool that wasn't really normal, but not full out diarrhea (which he did have yesterday in the morning) but then he kept walking on circles still trying to go.
I thought we were in the clear so didn't go to the vet this morning, then of course after they close he started this circling around = he doesn't ;look miserable.

It sounds like he ate quite a few variations yesterday and had a day of exertion which is likely exacerbating his symptoms today

I would withhold food for 12 hours as a precaution to allow the intestinal contractions to subside. What you describe is more colitis or inflammation of the colon that is causing him to strain to defecate without production. Hopefully my directions below will help resolve this swiftly

- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken in 12-24 hours (after the straining he is showing subsides completely)
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools
- Repeat his leash walk this evening to help reduce the spasms/ cramping

If there develops any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass)

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pet is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
I saw that his nasal passages were dripping (like tears) on the last walk- is that weird? he is normally a VERY slobbery high salivating dog, I want to say that too even his trainer remarked abotu it. if he doesn't like pumpkin can try anythign to subsitute? it eh bone was the size of maybe 2 inches ( it was think- not very long) CAN he get that through or am I screwed either way? just thinking oit might cost less to go now....but if he could get it through then??? How on earth did he even get it down without choking? I mean, this must happen a lot? He never eats "stuff" around the house- but if meat is involved he is all over it. I tired to tet it out but he swallowed REALLY fast. Can he be left alone while I'm at work tomorrow??

If you are unable to do the canned pumpkin the white rice should suffice for now

Depending on his size a two inch bone may pass but it doesn't sound like there is any vomiting at this point which would be my primary cause for concern of an obstruction

I can't answer the question about being left at home while at work, it might be worthwhile to find out if your veterinarian can offer you a drop off to evaluate him tomorrow if this continues or is not improving