Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

4 Month old Boxer pup. Threw up last night, again this

morning, this morning it was...
4 Month old Boxer pup. Threw up last night, again this morning, this morning it was only a white bile.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Boxer eat anything unusual?
Customer: Has been laying around all day, wont eat, he drank a little water this morning.
JA: What is the Boxer's name?
Customer: not that I'm aware of.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Boxer?
Customer: Stanley nope, he's up to date on his shots.
9/24/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear your puppy Stanley is vomiting with lethargy. First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control. And with his young age it is definitely more concerning because they simply don't have the reserves of an adult dog so decline much more rapidly.

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in 6-8 hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Stanley comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian