Denise Cudiamat
Denise Cudiamat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
99472105

He just passed something that looks like a rubbery piece in

He just passed something that looks like a white rubbery piece in his stools. I think he ate the end of his bully stick, and I'm wondering if that is what this is
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gus, 3 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gus?
Customer: No. He is acting fine, eating, drinking, playing. I just was examining his stool and saw the white rubbery/chewy looking piece

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Gus.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you.

If you have a picture of the rubbery piece, you are welcome to send it and I'll take a look.

In my experience, with the partially digest bully sticks that I have seen, they are usually white, rubbery and in a similar shape to their original form. This is likely what you found in his stool.

He is very lucky, as I have seen the need for surgical removal of bully sticks. So, I'm glad to hear that he's active and eating/drinking normally with no diarrhea.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I am going to upload pictures.

Great! I'll wait for them.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.

Ok, the images have arrived. It looks like in several photos you have a bully stick at the top of the image (near your hand) and then the rubbery item below. Yes, once in the digestive tract, a bully stick and swell and take on this appearance.

I am grateful Gus was able to pass it without any complications.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Both pieces were in his stools. So you believe both are bully stick? And since he passed them and is acting normally, that he is okay?

Ok, thanks for clarifying. The top item is definitely a bully stick. The bottom item may be a swollen bully stick or another unidentified item that he passed.

Since he is acting normally and eating and drinking well, I would not be too concerned. However, I would continue to watch him for signs of obstruction over the next 2-3 days - vomiting, decreased appetite, diarrhea, decreased stool formation, lethargy, painful abdomen.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome.