Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is having visible twitching or contracting of her…

Customer Question
My dog is having...

My dog is having visible twitching or contracting of her right shoulder, neck, and sometimes even head. It stops when she is quiet and resting, starts up with activity or mobilization. She has been on cephalexin for a couple weeks for a staph skin infection. Wondering if it is related, or two separate issues.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Phoebe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Phoebe?

No. She has been a healthy little girl for her 8 years on earth.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Phoebe is having neurologic symptoms.

What breed is she?

It is highly unlikely that the twitching symptoms you are seeing are related to her antibiotic medication.

When did the twitching start?

When she is at rest, can you tell if her eyes are twitching back and forth?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian