Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is coughing nonstop and puking up foam... is there

My dog is coughing nonstop...
My dog is coughing nonstop and puking up white foam... is there and home remedies I can do to help him?? Or should I bring him into the vet??
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/24/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Alright thank u

I can not call right now but would be happy to help you in chat if you do not want to wait for a phone call.

I need to ask some additional questions.

1. Is he coughing up white foam or vomiting (with abdominal contractions) up white foam?

2. When did this start?

3. Can he keep food or water down?

4. How much does he weigh?

It’s just white foam. He started last night around 10. He has puked up food that I’ve seen and he drank a lot of water and I didn’t see him pike that. It’s jus a white foam and he won’t stop. He weighs about 80 pounds.

It does sound more serious to me. So he is retching or vomiting up the white foam? Does his abdomen appear enlarged or bloated?

I just went out and felt him he didn’t feel bloated or anything.

Okay. So your original question was there a home remedy to stop the retching or vomiting.

In this case it is not going to work because all of the medications that are used to help settle his stomach are given by mouth and he would just retch those back up.

My other concern is when a dog starts retching or vomiting up foam over and over it can indicate a severe condition called BLOAT that must be treated right away. If it is not then the stomach can twist on itself and cut off the blood supply which is big trouble.

He could have also ingested something we do not know about.

It is not sounding like a routine upset stomach or something you can treat at home.

I would take him into the ER right now.

If you need help financing apply at www.carecredit.com

Most of the emergency clinics take carecredit

I hope that helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you : )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Thanks for the help

You are welcome. If you have time will you let me know if the ER doctor says it is Bloat or something else?

I can let u know

Thank you : )

I don’t think the vet exactly knew but she said it was nothing to serious and gave him a shot....

Okay I hope he feels better and it was not serious. Thanks for letting me know.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian