Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was spayed and neutered last week and now she wont…

Customer Question
Hello! my dog was...

Hello! my dog was spayed and neutered last week and now she wont eat or drink. shes also has a black dieherria that is slimmy. I ned help I took her back tothe vet and sll thry did ws give her iv fluids and two sht and said take her home. when she ready to each she will

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 1 years old almost 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?

Im going crazy I don't know what to do

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you about Lola.

We need to be proactive here for her. If she has black diarrhea that suggests stomach or upper GI bleeding. This could be from a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory pain medication that she got when spayed (or may have been sent home with you). In any case, she cannot have any more of that and we'd want her vet to not just give fluids but also start oral gastroprotectants (Carafate) to coat her stomach +/- gut safe pain relief (ie Buprenorphine). Any delay and we can at least try her with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and plan to use it every 12 hours. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. These will reduce stomach acid and possible further erosion of any potential stomach ulcers. And it will reduce nausea which should in turn help us to get her eating. You can also use Milk of Magnesia (after the antacid has absorbed) at a dose of 0.5-1 teaspoon every 8-12 hous. This will coat the stomach and help protect it. After you can consider frequent small meals of a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, etc) to just keep her stomach from being empty and vulnerable to her stomach acid. If she refuses but isn't actively vomiting, we can offer or syringe feed watered down canned puppy food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise.

Overall, based on her signs, we'd be quite concerned about a stomach bleed likely as a drug reaction given her recent spay. Therefore, I would advise the above for your lass to help reduce risk until you can get her rechecked by her vet.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian