Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

In the past 2 weeks one of my Yorkie's ears is dropped,

Customer Question
In the past 2...

In the past 2 weeks one of my Yorkie's ears is dropped, previous both stood up. I've checked the ear, no redness and it doesn't bother her when I touch it or play with it. should I be concerned?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She's 3 yrs old now and has always had both ears erect.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that you are concerned because your girl's ear is no longer erect.

If her ear is not painful, swollen and it doesn't look any different I would not be concerned. Whether her ears stand or not is truly a cosmetic issue.

Some dogs have weaker cartilage or suffer an injury to their cartilage such that it is broken and bends. The injury can be as simple as shaking her head, or playing with another dog that tends to chew on or pull on her ear when playing.

That may be the case with your pup's ear.

There are surgical plastic spine and mesh type implants that can be placed to allow your pup's ear to stand if that is important to you.

Here is a link to the most effective product currently on the market: http://www.neuticles.com/permastay.php

The surgeon that performs implant placement however should be very experienced in ear crop surgery, as this is not a simple procedure, if you want optimal results and to avoid infection.

In short this is purely an aesthetic problem, it won't hurt her to have a bent ear. But if it bothers you then an implant can work for her.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****