Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She ate some tomato tone fertilizer, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 cup.

Customer Question
She ate some tomato...

She ate some tomato tone fertilizer, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 cup

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Trying to figure out if its poisonous

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Dog is clementine, Basset Hound almost 15

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Clementine

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago?

What does she weigh?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Hello. About 30 min ago. She weighs 42 lbs. No symptoms, and we have not tried to give her water yet. Gums are pink and moist.
based on what I have read its not poisonous but can upset the stomach? Give Pepcid AC?

Hello again,

Now I am glad you are acting quick but thankfully this product only tends to cause GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea) in dogs that have small doses. If they have quite a bit then there can be a blockage risk as well. So while we could induce vomiting or use activated charcoal at this point (which I am happy to discuss), we don't strictly need to. You can choose to just take things easy and monitor for today. As well to offset any GI upset, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you so much for the help, it is much appreciated. And, thanks for the good news :)

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

********************************************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian