Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He potentially ate a 2-3 peices of orbit gum. Cookie and he…

Customer Question
He potentially ate a...

He potentially ate a 2-3 peices of orbit gum

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Cookie and he is about 10-11 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cookie?

He is about 24 pounds

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Christie, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Christie
Dr. Christie, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there, my name is***** I'd like to try and help you with Cookie.

What type of Orbit gum was it?

Orbit gum has xylitol in it which is toxic to dogs. It can cause low blood sugar as well as liver damage.

Cookie needs to go to either your regular veterinarian if they are open or to the emergency veterinarian's clinic right now!

Bloodwork will need to be checked to determine where his blood sugar is but also to determine where his liver enzyme levels are.

Your vet may recommend keeping Cookie for observation to monitor his blood sugar levels as they can drop dangerously low, causing possible tremors and seizures. If liver enzyme levels are elevated, your vet will also recommend hospitalization to administer fluids and medications to help support Cookie's liver.

Please get Cookie to a vet today!

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian