Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy, I believe has been regurtating his food regularly…

Customer Question
My puppy, I believe...

My puppy, I believe has been regurtating his food regularly for a week. I dont believe it is vomit because the food appears undigested. He does so after drinkinig lots of water, car rides, and when new people are around. He doesnt appear to be affected by it in the least. Well, until this morning, when he spit up some water and grass then turned his nose up to the food I gave him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your puppy eat anything unusual?

Nope

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the puppy's name?

Loki

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Loki?

It started right after I gave him heartgard, a heart preventative medication

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Christie, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Christie
Dr. Christie, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there! My name is***** I'd like to try and help you with Loki.

You mention regurgitating with Loki. When he does this, does he seem to just spit up with no notice, or does he go through the whole motion of sides heaving and lots of noise before he produces material?

its totally sudden and unexpected. he'll spit up on people sometimes with 0 indication

How old is Loki? Has he been having normal stool?

6 months old. stool has been consistently solid since this began a week ago. However, last night it appeared a little loose.

Ok thank you for the information. I am typing a response at this time, just give me about 2 minutes.

energy level appears to be normal along with his appetite. Until this morning when he appeared to be a little lethargic and only eating a 1/3 of his food. He did so despite me putting a little bit of bacon grease on it.

Regurgitation can occur for a variety of reasons. Regurgitation typically occurs due to an issue with the upper GI tract, which includes the stomach and esophagus.

Possible causes include generalized megaesophagus (this is enlargement of the lower esophagus near the stomach), esophageal obstruction caused by foreign body (something he ingested), esophageal stricture, focal esophageal weakness, intra - or extra luminal mass, hiatal hernia (this is where the stomach herniates into the chest briefly), parasites (Spirocerca lupi), esophagitis (ulceration and irritation of the lower esophagus), and in a young puppy the possibility of a conformational abnormality.

Our patients that regurgitate are more prone to aspirating the fluid and material they bring up so are more prone to pneumonia.

I would recommend getting Loki into your regular vet tomorrow to have him checked up but to also consider an x-ray of his chest to look for abnormalities that could explain his regurgitating. This can also allow your vet to view his lungs to make sure he has not aspirated and now developed pneumonia.

ok, I appreciate the information. However, I got all those answers from a web search. All of which said to then contact my vet. It's sunday. No where is open and Im using THIS service to get more conclusive answers. Right now, Im not getting that.
thank you but if this is all you have to offer me, Im not happy with my service