Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 25lb 4 year old schnauzer just ate @ 64 peanut m&m's

Customer Question
My 25lb 4 year...

My 25lb 4 year old schnauzer just ate @ 64 peanut m&m's (estimate from 8 fun size bags). She seems fine but is there anything that I should do right now? Thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Libby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Libby?

She has bad allergies and takes apoquel daily (skin issues with excessive licking and frequent yeast infections in her ears that we are constantly treating). She was also dx'd with sky high liver enzymes as part of her preop for being spayed at 6 months. Canceled the spay and tested her again with the same results. Liver biopsy was done weeks later when she was finally spayed and her liver tissue is normal. No explanation for those elevated enzymes and no issues since. Just had her physical last month and everything was perfectly normal.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thankfully, those M&Ms are mostly peanut and not chocolate. Can you check the total weight in ounces of one of these fun size bags for me, please? A 25 lb dog would need to ingest nearly 25 ounces of pure milk chocolate to become intoxicated by the theobromine in the chocolate.

I'm sorry for not getting back with you sooner - I got locked out of the site for 6 hours. It looks like she ate of total of 5 oz so I think we are ok! She is acting herself - no diarrhea and she ate lunch just fine. Maybe a little more sleepy than usual but it is 91 degrees outside.....she is something else and quite the climber. This is the same dog that ate our passports 3 years ago...Thank you again!

No worries. Thank you for the good update. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.