Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 15 year old dog has prostate cancer and we feel like his…

Customer Question
My 15 year old...

My 15 year old dog has prostate cancer and we feel like his end is near. We want to euthanize him at home and are not interested in the discussion about shooting him. He weighs 17lbs and I have 50mL of 2% Lidocaine Viscous. I read that this is used to slow the heart and is an ingredient for veterinary euthanasia. Will this do it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Tyson

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tyson?

Like what?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am very sorry to hear about Tyson, my sincere condolences. I would never suggest shooting him!

Lidocaine is not part of what we use for veterinary euthanasia. Large amounts, given IV, could kill him, but it would not be pretty; he would have seizures and convulsions first if you were able to give a fatal IV dose.

We use IV barbiturates for veterinary euthanasia. Nothing else works safely, smoothly, and effectively. Giving barbiturates by mouth requires massive doses, and can still cause vomiting, coma, organ failure, but maybe not death.

I hope you were able to see what I sent. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am so sorry he has cancer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I have been thinking of you; how did it work out with Tyson?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian