Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 7 yrs old male Sheltie neutered. This morning when…

Customer Question
I have a 7 yrs...
I have a 7 yrs old male Sheltie neutered. This morning when we were out, I noticed that he was peeing often....and when we got back to the apt, he immediately asked to go out, and peed twice more....
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Joann, we need to clarify if Duncan is polyuric (forming more urine than usual) or stranguric (frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine). Polyuria can arise from quite a few disorders such as hepatic and renal insufficiencies, urinary tract infection involving the kidneys; diabetes mellitus, Cushing's disease, hyperthyroidism - all three will also cause increased hunger (polyphagia), hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level – often due to lymphoma), electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances, and the rarer Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus. Duncan's vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in order to clarify what those symptoms are signifying.

Stranguria most often arises secondary to a bacterial urinary tract infection +/- urinary calculi (stones). Less commonly, neoplasia in the form of transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder/urethra is present.

Have you noted Duncan drinking more than usual (polydipsia)? Have you seen hematuria (blood in the urine)?

I am not sure about his water intake. I did notice that when we got in, he went to his water dish to drink..
I don't know about the blood in his urine, since he goes in the grass. I could get a catch I believe, but there is nothing I can do about it today....Have no transportation and I do not drive.
Is it safe to wait until tomorrow morning? He seems to feel very good, seemingly not uncomfortable.. as to food, he has, shall I say, a good healthy appetite 24/7
Are you still on-line?

I understand. I don't hear of any urgency to have him attended to by an ER. Tomorrow is fine. Please see if you can prevent his urinating for a few hours before his arrival at his vet hosptial. His vet will want to obtain urine from Duncan. Please continue our conversation if you wish.