Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My son and I were splitting and throwing into pile, and our…

Customer Question
My son and I...

My son and I were splitting wood and throwing into pile, and our lilly medium size pitbull ran through and got a small log on the top of her head.im sorry I'm crying cause this is my lilly cakes.small cut on top of her head. closed up , no oozing or puss but there is swelling. can I give her ibuprophen.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

No bleeding.happened Friday afternoon. like I said closed up just concerned about swelling

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Oh no.lilly is taking well care of. shots everything up to date..we love our lilies..

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lilly. As for over the counter analgesia, you’re necessarily constrained to either aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight (22 mg per kg of body weight) with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen (e.g., Tylenol) dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight (15 mg per kg of body weight) thrice daily. Acetaminophen isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin, however. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian