Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Im not sure if my dog ingested a lyrics capsule. 200 mg. Dog…

Customer Question
Im not sure if...

Im not sure if my dog ingested a lyrics capsule. 200 mg. Dog weighs 60 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Tucker was a year old in may

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago do you think this happened?

How is Tucker just now?

Do you mean lyrica?

About 5 min
lyrica
He seems fine

Thank you,

Now Lyrica is a drug that we have only recently starting to use in veterinary medicine for dogs. With this in mind, this means we know that he has not caused himself an outright poisoning with this ingestion. Furthermore, based on his weight and the tablet strength, he has given himself is 7mg/kg of his body weight dose. The good news with that is that we often don’t see adverse signs until the dose is nearer to ~10mg/kg. At that dose, they can appear wobbly and having walking difficulties usually after a few hours or so post ingestion. Higher doses can also cause restlessness, agitation, vocalizing, an elevated heart rate, and changes to their breathing pattern. As well, this drug with a fairly wide safety margin and with this low a dose we’d not expect to see much in the way of adverse effect for your lad. (If we were to see any signs, then it'd usually be within the first 3 hours after the tablet being ingested.)

Therefore, if he had this 5 minutes ago, he hasn't had time to absorb any yet. So, we have a few options. We can induce vomiting. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, we could just monitor for the day. Of course, if we were to see any of those more severe signs, then we'd want him seen for fluids to flush this out quicker.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian