Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7 year old papillon is shaking and her stomach feels very…

Customer Question
My 7 year old...

My 7 year old papillon is shaking and her stomach feels very firm and she is panting. Its sunday so I cant get to the vet until tomorrow

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Nika

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nika?

I just bought a new bag of dog food yesterday ironically - same brand but a different flavor. But I thought she had this flavor before

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
she eats Taste of the Wild usually. She pooped this morning and it looked like regular poop, not loose. I gave her 20mg of baby liquid gasX to see if that would help the bloat.
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Any change to her breathing rate?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

You noted her stomach was firm, but if you press on it des she seem to have any discomfort or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

no drooling, no gagging, no lip licking and no vomiting. she was panting - she is laying in my lap now so she isn't panting.
Her gums are so tiny I can't really tell anything there. her stomach does some painful, when I touch it she doesn't do anything but seems to arch a little.
The only harmful thing I could think of is when we weed the flowers she goes crazy after the weeds but she doesn't usually eat them just tears them apart. We did a lot of yard work yesterday but just normal grass and weeds no flowering plants or anything obviously poisonous.

Hello again,

If you cannot tell her gum color, can you roll her lower eyelid down and let me know if that is pink or white?

And just with the weeds, can you give me an idea of what types she may have chewed (just to be safe)?

they look pink to me, I added a photo - I just couldn't tell if they were "sticky"
just like crab grass, or normal yard blue fescue - just normal grass, we are digging a pool in the backyard so we weren't even digging in flower beds

Thank you,

Those look fine and I am glad to see she has good perfusion as it reduces worries of GI bleeding or circulatory problems. That said, even without vomiting, the agitation, panting, firm belly with arching (a pain sign) when compressed does make me concerned that she may have a pancreatitis or gastritis from the new food or something else she may have eaten. Furthermore, I have to note that if she did eat fescue that is actually mildly toxic and is known to cause vomiting, anorexia, drooling, and depression in some dogs. Of course, IBD and GI cancer can appear similarly but less likely for Nika.

With this in mind, the Gas-x was fine to use (though usually we just give 1mg per pound of their weight) but I would suggest trying her with an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to just push anything in her through a bit quicker and support digestion.As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot doesn’t respond to the above within 8-12 hours or continues to seem sore; then we'd want to get her vet involved to assess her and start gut safe pain relief, anti-nausea medication +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**