Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my dog may have kennel cough.he has been hacking…

Customer Question
I think my dog...

I think my dog may have kennel cough.he has been hacking really bad through the night. All the vets are closed today. What can i do for him to ease this util tomorrow

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with May?

He has been hacking all night. Im worried because he has a bad heart and it seems the hacking has gotten worse

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does May seem to hurt?

His name is ***** ***** may and in his throat and chest

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Just his breathing

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is Lucky eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is Lucky having trouble peeing or pooing?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is Lucky behaving differently?

The hacking is getting more frequent so his breathing seems to bother him he sounds congested

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucky?

He has irregular heartbeat. Was born with it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor lad,

As long as Lucky is breathing comfortable (<30 breaths per minute at rest)and has pink gums, we can monitor until the local vet can see him. As we do that, you can try him on a mild cough suppressant like glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed.

Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM. I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce any possible irritation driving him to cough. Furthermore, if he has a throat irritation, then soaking his kibble or offering soft foods may also help reduce his signs.

Furthermore, if he sounds a bit congested, we can also steam treat. To do so, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear discharge from the airway. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. So, if you find that to be an issue, you can make a little ‘steam tent’ with him in a dog crate, the nebulizer next to that, and a bed sheet over both. Furthermore, non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Ocean Mist or Little Noses) can be used if he has nasal congestion. To do so, just tilt the head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Overall, if his signs are sudden in appearance, then the a bit of throat irritation and our infectious causes would be most likely here. Therefore, you can soothe his throat with the above if his signs are mild. And once his vet is open, then can confirm infection concerns and start Lucky on antibiotics to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

********************************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**