Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

On Thursday my husband found our 43 lbs boxer gnawing on a

deer leg bone. We live...
On Thursday my husband found our 43 lbs boxer gnawing on a deer leg bone. We live on a large wooded property and the often go roaming. The problem is that the bone still had rancid deer meat on it. She vomited that afternoon. The next morning on Friday, he found her with it again. She vomited that morning s few hours following. Then again that night. He found the whole deer and buried it to prevent her getting any more. But yesterday (Saturday) she vomited again, a few hours after eating breakfast. And now twice over night. The first over night was all full of dog food. And the second was a red/orange color. I don't know what to do.
9/24/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Oh Bella!

Now as I am sure you can appreciate rancid meat won't sit well in the GI and often can be filled with bacteria which in turn can cause gastritis. With this all in mind and given her signs, we'd want to start some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to support digestion and try to normalize her gut bacteria. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Overall, given that she has kept vomiting we do have to be wary of a bacterial gastritis from this. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration and treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you! I'm hoping that is indeed all it is. My initial fear was that she got a piece of bone blocking something. Are there specific signs of worsening I should look out for?

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Deer bones usually tend to be quite strong and resistant to being broken off in shards, but usually if that happens they are vomiting profusely with brown coffee ground or bloody vomit, where Bella's sounds more like bile. So we'd want to keep an eye generally and just to be safe keep an eye out for any anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then bone complications would be a concern and we'd want a xray to check for those. But otherwise we'd hope to get her settled with the above +/- antibiotics from her vet.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

********************************************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hi Aubrry,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian