Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a a poo and she had her 1st litter, the 1st pup…

Customer Question
My dog is a...

My dog is a jack a poo and she had her 1st litter, the 1st pup was fine and then around 90 mins later she had #2 and it was still born

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

P

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is P?

Feeby,,,,5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about P?

Don't think so

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
When the still pup was born we didn't notice her chewing the umbilical cord like same did the 1st 1, she also just licked the sac off and then dropped it and went back to pup 1.
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: benedetta7, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
benedetta7
benedetta7, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr Benedetta, and I would like to help with your question about Feeby.

However, I am not 100% sure of what your question is. So please let me know if i am not addressing your concern, and I will redirect.

There can be a lot of different reasons for a puppy to be still born. Some viral or bacterial infections, some congenital defect of the puppy, some genetic defect, some problems with the pregnancy.

It is difficult to know, but if you want to rule out some of these causes, the best thing would be to have a necropsy done of the puppy. This can be important especially if you are planning to breed Feeby again.

Feeby behaved normally when faced with a nonviable puppy, she basically ignored it.

Keep in mind that 5 years is late for a first pregnancy, so that may be a factor in the viability of the puppies.

Lastly, if you do not plan to breed her again, I would strongly recommend to have her spayed, especially since she appeared to be able to have just 2 puppies, one of which was born dead. It suggest her reproductive capabilities are not great, and that puts her at risk of complications in future.

Hope this addresses your concern, but please feel free to continue this conversation with any other questions you may have.

Thank you!

benedetta sarno, DVM

Ok, yes it wasn’t really a question more a clarification. I had done much research and wanted to make sure i wasn’t missing anything. So thanks!! We are going to have her spayed asap.

You are welcome!

hope you all enjoy the new puppy!

I would wait until the puppy is fully weaned to have her spayed

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

benedetta7