Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is leaking very watery diarrhea. 7 yrs old. The only…

She is leaking very...

She is leaking very watery diarrhea. 7 yrs old. The only thing I can think is it is the half a hotdog my neighbor fed her. Not sure how to help her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Diarrhea as I stated above. It is leaking out of her when she sits, stands, or walks.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

A wound on her foot to cause diarrhea?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Bree

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bree?

She is 7. Has all vaccinations. Has been dewormed.

She's drinking water still as well.
Started about a day and a half ago
became increasingly worse today
9/24/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

How long ago did she have the hot dog?

Anything else she could have gotten into (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

What color is the diarrhea? Any blood?

Are Bree's gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Signs about a day and a half. Progressively worse today. She ate the hotdog 2 days ago. No signs of pain. No meds or anything else foreign she couldve eaten. We have plants in our back yard but nothing that would have caused her to become ill as she isnt out there alone ever and doesnt eat them.
The diarrhea is brown. Doesnt appear to have any blood
Gums are pink
Seem moist

Hello again,

First, I am glad to see she hasn't those more urgent signs and that her gums are normal as we want them to be. Furthermore, it sounds like we can put concerns of foreign bodies/toxins lower on our list of concerns for Bree. Therefore we'd be mainly suspicious that this diarrhea is secondary to a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, or possible pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or dietary indiscretions.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle gut. To start, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion.As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk for Bree with how watery her stools are, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, since there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of probiotics added in. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

Overall, Bree's signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable antibiotics +/- fluids to settle her GI and get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you very much

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

********************************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Is Imodium safe for dogs? I will go to the pharmacy if not

Hello again,

We don't really tend to use it in dogs very often as it only slows gut movement (not ideal for infectious agents as it gives them more time in the gut) instead of bulking up the stools like the ones I noted do. Furthermore, especially in smaller dogs, it can cause sedation, cramps and neurological signs due to its small safe dosing range. So, if Bree is a very large dog, it could be tried but otherwise those alternatives I noted tend to be better options for our dogs.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
She is much better. Thanks for all your advice.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update.

I am glad to hear that she is feeling better. :)

Have a lovely weekend,

Dr. B.