Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is a 13 yr. old Maltese and she is panting very hard…

Customer Question
She is a 13...

She is a 13 yr. old Maltese and she is panting very hard with hr

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Maltese?

She is panting very hard with her tongue hanging out. She will stop for a few minutes and then start again.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Maltese seem to hurt?

She has some chronic issues that we have been treating for quite some time

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No, only she wants me to hold her and she usually doesn't like to be held

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the Maltese eating normally?

Yes, she even ate a tad extra tonight at about 8:30 pm

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. The Expert will know if the Maltese will be able to digest that. What is the Maltese's name?

Charlotte, and she eats prescription dog food

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlotte?

She has chronic pancreatitis and another disorder the name of which I've forgotten, but her scull didn't grow large enough for her brain which has caused increased spinal fluid to serge through her spinal cord causing nerve damage that causes her pain and she is losing control of her hind legs

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

What treatments is she on just now?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain? Sore anywhere else?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian