Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

While cutting a spot of matted hair off our almost 1 yr

Customer Question
While cutting a spot...

While cutting a spot of matted hair off our almost 1 yr maltese my husband cut her neck....it isnt really bleeding but it is a pretty good size cut. I have cleaned it and tried to apply a bandage as well as I could with it being on her neck. Is there anything else we should do??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the Maltese bleeding a lot?

No she isn't

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Maltese's name?

Minnie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Minnie?

No...she seems fine. Acting like herself. She will be 1 in december and 5-6 lbs

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The BEST recommendation for ANY veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

This is common. Don't feel bad, it's something that happens too easily sometimes.

Cleaning the area is the first step - good work. Hydrogen peroxide is ok to use and most people have that available to them, it also doesn't typically sting which is nice.

After cleaning it, if you have some type of antibiotic ointment, such as neosporin, bacitracin, or similar - most any OTC antibiotic ointment from a human pharmacy should be ok, go ahead and apply a small amount of that to the wound.

Then apply a non-stick telfa pad (material similar to the white part of a bandaid) if you have it. Apply some gauze for padding around it and gently wrap it on. Be very careful to not wrap anything too tight! Very important to not do this!

If the wound edges are touching and the tissue underneath the skin is not exposed, this is likely all that's needed and it should heal fine. If the wound edges are not touching and the tissue underneath the skin is exposed, i.e. if you can see the cross-sectional thickness of the skin, then stitches are best and you should seek veterinary assessment in person to pursue this.

If you are unsure, seeking veterinary assessment in person is best.

Although not best medicine, some people will successfully clean wounds and glue them shut with super glue / skin glue. This can work, but it can also close in infection as it doesn't allow the wound to "breathe" well.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago

Reminder: Please don't forget to rate using the stars! This is very important for the experts that use this site to help people, it is how they are compensated for their time on the site. If you find this website helpful, RATE! And more importantly, if you have follow-up questions to the one that I helped you with, please don't hesitate to write me back to continue the dialogue. I aim to help you as best as my abilities allow. Thanks! - Dr. Peck.