Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy has an upset stomach and it feels ripped. Atlas.

Hi, my puppy has...

Hi, my puppy has an upset stomach and it feels ripped

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Atlas

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Atlas?

His stomach is making constant gurgling noises and he wont eat any food

Additionally he popped once and then about 30 minutes later I took him out again and his stool was a mucus
9/24/2017
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I am so sorry to hear about Atlas. I am going to try to help you through this. I have a few questions and am also working on a response for you.

Do you know if Atlas go into anything?

How long as you had him and what is his age?

Was there any recent changes to diet/treats?

He is fully vaccinated and/or has he been to any public areas where you would be concerned about parvovirus if he is not vaccinated?

He hasn't gotten into anything, he is 3 months old and I have had him about a week. He received a full round of vaccinations early today. I believe his diet has changed from wet food to dry food when he came to me from his previous owner. I don't believe he would have been exposed to parvovirus

Ok that is good. Did the diarrhea and lack of appetite start after his vaccines today or had it been going on already?

How much does he weigh?

The lack of appetite started today, his poop has been consistent with human baby poop. He weighs 23 lbs.

There are a few things that you can try at home that may help. This problem might be from stress and the vaccines.

1. Implement a probiotic. So Purina makes a probiotic called Fortiflora that you can add to the food and most dogs absolutely love it. You just mix a packet with the food or sprinkle it on the dry food and most dogs find it very palatable. You might be able to get it online or a pet or feed store. Comes in a box of 30 individual packets. There are other probiotics available also, but that one is the easiest to give.

2. Metamucil- You can add 1- 2 tsps to the food twice daily. This is also very palatable and adds extra fiber to the diet that can help to bulk up the stool quickly. Only get the original metamucil, not the flavored type. Don't give him more than that as it can cause the opposite effect if he is given too much.

3. Pepcid AC- This is an acid reducer and can really help upset stomach and the gurgling sound that you hear. It can also help to improve appetite. You can give him 5 mg twice daily. This is easy to find at any pharmacy or grocery store.

4. Diet: As far as feeding him, do not give him a bunch of extra treats or snacks. If he is not eating you can try to give him some low sodium chicken broth or small amount of chicken breast and rice. Sometimes you can also entice them with a small jar of chicken gerber baby food.

Finally, if the problem is not resolving and he is getting worse, he should be examined and maybe treated with anti-diarrhea medications and possibly fluids if needed. am probably more concerned about the appetite as you don't want him to get dehydrated. I would also recommend that he be dewormed if he hasn't already or have a fecal sample checked for parasites. Very important in puppies.

He got a deworm medication today as well as a fecal sample, but the dewormer is edible and the lack of appetite is keeping me from giving it to him. I will try to find the products you suggested for him. Thank you for your help!

Good, I am glad that those things were done. Again, he probably had a rough day with everything and time will help as well, but best to be proactive in such a young pet.

I know you probably don't feel like running to the store, but I really think that it would help a lot.

I will check in with you tomorrow to see how things are going as well. I know its the weekend and tough to get a hold of vets!

If I have answered all of your questions and you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated.

Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week.

Keep me posted and have a good night.

let me know if you need anything else. I will be checking my messages for another hour or so.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
I'll head to the store as soon as possible, he is sleeping now. Thank you for all of your help and I will keep you updated here

That sounds good. Thanks!

How can I get him to take the pepcid AC?
You may just have to gently open his mouth and put it in the back of his throat. Then massage his throat which will often cause them to swallow. You could also dip the pill in something like a little yogurt, gerber baby food, peanut butter just to help him swallow it.
Just go slow and maybe sit behind him so he doesn't scoot away from you while you are doing it.
Awesome thank you!
Just checking to see how things are going. Hope that he is feeling a little better today!
I was able to give him a dose of pepcid AC and some warm chicken broth and he immediately started to feel better! Today I have him his deworming medication and he ate his food like his normal self!

That is awesome. You can definitely give the pepcid AC for a few days if you are concerned. I am glad that he is feeling better!

I purchased the metamucil and fortiflora, can I give them to Atlas as a dietary supplement?

The fortiflora would be great as a supplement or you can keep it for times when he is having some digestive issues. Probiotics are great for anyone on a daily basis. The metamucil you shouldn't have to use as a supplement. If his stools are normal there should be no need, but keep it on hand for times like this when he does present will loose stool and you can give it for a few days in a row- just don't give an excessive amount. A large dog probably only needs 1 tbsp twice daily and smaller dogs 1 tsp.